The Housatonic River Railroad Bridge is a historic bridge carrying Metro-North Railroad’s New Haven Line trackage across the lower Housatonic River in the U.S. state of Connecticut. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987, and in its listing was described as also being referred to as Devon Bridge meat tenderizer electric machine. It is also referred to as the Devon Railroad Bridge by the state Department of Environmental Protection.
It is a “Scherzer Rolling Lift Bascule”-type bascule bridge. It has a steel superstructure and block stone piers. The moveable span is a Warren through truss span. The Connecticut River Railroad Bridge is another bridge of this type in Connecticut which is also NRHP-listed.
It is one of eight moveable bridges on the Amtrak route through Connecticut surveyed in one multiple property study in 1986. The eight bridges from west to east are: Mianus River Railroad Bridge at Cos Cob, built in 1904; Norwalk River Railroad Bridge at Norwalk, 1896; Saugatuck River Railroad Bridge at Westport, 1905; Pequonnock River Railroad Bridge at Bridgeport, 1902 t shirt soccer; Housatonic River Railroad Bridge, at Devon, 1906; Connecticut River Railroad Bridge, Old Saybrook-Old Lyme, 1907; Niantic River Bridge, East Lyme-Waterford, 1907; and Thames River Bridge (Amtrak), Groton, built in 1919.
The bridge is also used by Amtrak for its Northeast Corridor services.
The current bridge is the fourth railroad span in the same location, originally known as Naugatuck Junction. The original bridge was the first railroad bridge over the Housatonic river, built by the New York and New Haven Railroad, and was a single-track wooden Covered Howe Truss, 1,293 feet in length and a draw of 134 feet, built in 1848. It held the distinction of being the longest covered bridge ever built in the state of Connecticut. The second bridge was a double-track cast iron Whipple truss, 1,091 feet in length and a draw of 206 feet, built in 1872 by the Keystone Bridge Company for the New York and New Haven Railroad. The third bridge was a double-track wrought iron Pratt truss, 1,091 feet in length and a draw of 206 feet, built in 1884 by the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad. The current bridge, a four-track steel with Warren through truss spans, Scherzer Bascule bridge water waist pack, 1,072 feet in length and a draw of 110 feet, was completed in 1906 by the American Bridge Company for the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad.
Repairs were planned for six months starting April 25, 2015.